CLEAPSS is an organisation which provides advice and support for practical science and technology to schools with pupils of all ages (Early Years through to Sixth Form). It is based at Brunel University in Uxbridge.
- Science and technology equipment & materials including chemicals and living organisms.
- Health & safety including risk assessment.
- How to do practical activities.
- For secondary school members CLEAPSS also offers advice on laboratories, workshops and the work of technicians.
- Services are available to teachers, technicians, school leaders, local authority officers and others whose work concerns school and college science.
What does CLEAPSS provide?
- termly newsletters for primary and secondary schools,
- a range of free publications,
- model risk assessments and special risk assessments,
- a science resources CD (secondary schools only),
- a D&T resources CD (secondary schools only),,
- low-cost training courses for technicians and teachers,
- a telephone Helpline which takes almost 7000 calls per year (see Tel. number below),
- a monitoring service, eg, for mercury spills,
- evaluations of equipment,
- discounts from some suppliers,
- advice on repairs.
CLEAPSS is particularly important to teachers with regard to risk assessment. If teachers have followed advice and guidance offered by CLEAPSS and the Local Authority and have put the necessary controls and precautions in place, and despite all of this an accident occurs, teachers cannot be deemed to have been negligent.
How to contact CLEAPSS
Telephone: 01895 251496
Postal address is:
Units 5 and 6 Chiltern Court
Please note that you will need a username and password to access the secure area of the website. Refer to the bulletin (and in the case of secondary schools, the CD) for this information.