Apprenticeships have changed over the years. Apprenticeships are no longer designed specifically for school leavers but are now recognised as a development tool, whatever your age, and whatever your salary. In order to be considered for an apprenticeship, an employee will have to work at least 16 hours per week. This is because of the time commitment that is required to complete the necessary training.
The apprenticeship must be relevant to the learners job role. Through their apprenticeship, apprentices gain the technical knowledge, practical experience, and wider skills and behaviours they need for their current job and future career. The apprentice will gain this through a wide mix of learning in the workplace, formal “off the job” training, and opportunities to practice new skills in a real work environment.
The Apprenticeship Levy commenced in 2017. Employers in the UK with an annual pay bill over £3million are required to pay the apprenticeship levy and the levy is charged at a rate of 0.5% of an employer’s annual pay bill. The apprenticeship levy can only pay for the cost of approved apprenticeship training and assessment. As an organisation, it is vital that we aim to maximise apprenticeship spend. As of 2021, all Directorates have set targets to meet for “Apprenticeship Starts” over each financial year.
Apprenticeship starts can be via new recruits or professional development of current staff. We aim to start 100 apprentices each year across Shropshire Council and Maintained Schools. If we do not spend our Apprenticeship Levy within the Local Authority, it eventually begins to expire, and we lose the funding, and it is returned to central government.
For more information see the information below or use the contact details to get in touch.
A-Z of documents in this library
- 1. Upskill Shropshire Business Case Professionaldev 2022 (docx file, 0.8mb in size)
- 12. Schools Apprenticeship Information Guide V1 2022 (pdf file, 2.6mb in size)
- 20% 'Off The Job' Information Guide (pdf file, 289.9kb in size)
- Exam Certificate Guidance Guidance To Obtain Maths English GCSE Certificates If Lost (pdf file, 227.7kb in size)
- Timetable For Upcoming Apprenticeships (docx file, 16.7kb in size)
- Upskill Apprenticeship Application Form Professionaldevelopment (docx file, 0.9mb in size)